I get tons of questions about my hair, from when I did my big chop to what products I use. It’s hard to remember everything and to go through everything I’ve done with and to my hair over the last three years so I put everything here!
If you have a question that wasn’t answered, feel free to leave it in the comment section. :)
Big chop: April 6, 2011 (transitioned for about 3 months prior)
How I care for my hair:
- I don’t use shampoo much, if at all. It makes my hair feel like paper.
- I co-wash my hair once a week, sometimes more.
- I lightly spray my hair with water before styling it (unless I’m wearing a blow-out).
- I never straighten my hair, I’ve done it two or three times in the last three and a half years.
- Most of the time I will blow my hair out before styling because I like stretched hair, but I’ve started to get away from that and style when my hair is almost dry. I’m actually challenging myself to no heat usage until Christmas! I just want to see if it makes a difference or not because my hair was much thicker and healthier before I started blow drying after each wash.
- I use the banding method to preserve my twist-outs.
- I always try to sleep with a satin scarf or bonnet on…unless I sleep with my hair in a puff.
Products I use on a regular basis:
- Suave Moroccan Infusion Shine Conditioner: I use this for my co-washes every week. It leaves my hair BABY soft and it smells wonderful. I love it!
- Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie: I use this for my twist-outs. I used to incorporate this into my styling regimen on a regular basis, but now I use it very sparingly. I love the way it smells, but it leaves my hands feeling weird…not sticky, just weird.
- Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner: Using this product alone didn’t do much for my hair but when I paired it with the yucca anti-breakage masque for my leave-in…OH EM GEE! My hair felt silky and divine the next morning! This product smells great as well.
- Eco Styler Olive Oil Styling Gel: This has been a staple product of mine since I began transitioning in 2011. It doesn’t make my hair hard and it serves its purpose.
- Raw Shea Butter: I use this on a regular basis. Although I don’t care for the smell, it is like magic on my hair. It makes my hair soft and fluffy.
- A. LiMara’s Peppermint Hair Butter: I love the smell and texture of this product and it is great for moisturizing my hair.
- Curls Passion Fruit Curl Control Paste: I use this for my edges because they tend to get really curly/wavy. It works great and smells good too. I wouldn’t recommend using it on your entire head though.
- Jamaican Mango & Lime Black Castor Oil Coconut: I love this oil…it’s thick and keeps the back of my head from itching. For some reason, I have an itchy scalp in the back near the nape of my neck. My hair has also thickened since using it. It smells much better than castor oil by itself…I always get compliments on the way my hair smells.
- Shea Moisture Yucca & Balboa Anti-Breakage Masque: This product smells AMAZING and my hair feels stronger after it has been rinsed out (if that makes sense lol).
- Spectrum Naturals Almond Oil, Refined: This oil is very light and leaves my hair soft.
- Dr. Bronner’s Fresh Pressed Virgin Coconut Oil Whole Kernel Unrefined: This has become my favorite oil of all the ones that I’ve used. My hair is soft, shiny and it smells great.
- Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Juice: I use this in my spray bottle mixed with water to moisturize my hair.